What Are Solar Submersible Pumps

Solar submersible pumps are either DC (direct current) or AC (alternating current) electrical pumps that are capable of being submerged for long periods during its service to pump water from deep wells. This means that some submersible pumps  are able to run on  either DC or AC voltage and current. When using solar panels without using any inverters, DC motors have the advantage since most solar panels have DC outputs except for panels that use micro-inverters at the panel level of electrical production.

Solar submersible pumps are used in farms, off-grid installations and sometimes even in on-grid situations. Solar pumps give us that guarantee for a continued water supply when the city or town water system is not working, have very low pressure, affected by natural disasters and so on.

The system below has a maximum head or lift of 230 feet. This means that at a maximum depth of 230 feet this pump will efficiently deliver the water to the surface and up to your elevated water reservoir.  This is available at Amazon. This motor is 24 VDC so it does not need any inverters. The panels alone will power up the system. Add a suitable battery and this can give you a 24/7 water supply year round. The system is rated at 3.2 GPM (gallons per minute).

Solar Submersible Pumps

ECO-WORTHY 24V Deep Well Water Pump System

Why Solar Submersible Pumps

No matter where we may live on this planet earth, water is always going to be a very valuable and critical necessity to have around. Take away water from any location on Earth and our quality of life or survival situation drastically goes down. And for us who have lived in older cities, we have grown up witnessing our water supply continue to be there for us every day.  Water is always present from our faucets, showers, gardens etc. We take this water supply for granted. We know it will be always there for us. Solar power coupled with batteries give us added assurance for a continued water and electrical service.

The Dreaded Natural And Man-made Disasters

In California, we have the dreaded, LONG OVERDUE Big One, a massive earthquake coming from the well-known and talked-about San Andreas fault. They say that when this Big One hits, it could have catastrophic results. As we have a lot of our services piped in to our homes in America like water supply, natural gas, electrical services, three of our most critical sources of energy and survival services, a huge earthquake could damage a lot of these pipelines.

Electric power lines supplying homes in many areas are now buried. Could these get affected by a massive earthquake? Why is this important? In small cities outside huge metropolis like the Los Angeles area, water supplies are from deep wells. I have lived in these small cities. They depend on several deep wells and huge water reservoirs for their water supply. Will these systems survive massive earthquakes? Would you believe that even huge and older cities have deep wells located within the cities themselves? You might see some in city parks, hidden from sight by fences and bush, there some huge AC motors are quietly humming away pumping thousands if not millions of gallons to our city water supplies.

What about man-made disasters like terrorist acts against our services? We have seen in California years ago how several of these people managed to disrupt our electrical services through violence. Whether it is our electrical services, our water service or natural gas services…we cannot be so sure that they are disruption or damage proof. Should we prepare for them if we are able to?

City Dwellers And Steady Water Supply

Large and established cities have for the most part a guaranteed continued service of a 24/7 water supply. In these scenarios would it still make sense to have your own deep well and solar pump setup? Maybe not since most city residences will not have the luxury of space for digging a deep well and a solar pump installation. But in situations where you might have a backyard suitable for the project, it would not be a bad idea to have the system for some truly good reasons. Solar pumps will give you a steady source of water for drinking, watering your garden plants, a guaranteed source when your supply is disrupted by natural calamities.

Best For Off-Grid Locations

Off-grid locations where you neither have city water nor city electric service, submersible water pumps powered by a couple of solar panels and backed by a storage battery for a 24/7 water supply is a very good choice. In addition to powering up your solar water pump, you can use the extra electricity for some of your lighting.  Or have a few kilowatts of solar panels combined with larger battery bank and the whole off-grid setting could be fully supported by this renewable energy setup.

Deep Well Challenges

Depending on your location, digging deep wells have challenges that are different in nature. In my present location on an island in the Philippines, my deep well of 130 feet deep cost me around a thousand bucks to dig, install the six and a half 20-foot long, 4-inch pipes, purchase and set up the pump and electric motor.

Take the same 130-foot deep well to my residence in the high desert of California and the whole scenario drastically changes. First, the water is available only at a much deeper location like 300-600 feet or deeper. Here we have to use a submersible pump. Then the cost of digging this well will run you up to around $30K vice the $1k deep well in the Philippines! Indeed the cost PLUS some very tough federal laws in the US that apply to digging your own well could just about kill your dreams of building or acquiring one. Some folks however still manage to get it done and end up producing more in an agricultural setting. So depending on your end-project and your determination to do it, this types of undertaking is still doable in many places in the United States of America but not without its challenges.

On the other hand I have seen other locations where a deep well supplying a household only had to go down 30 feet. That is a pipe and a half deep (20-foot pipes). Your cost will be a lot less in this kind of scenario.

Below is one of the best brands in submersible pumps. Grundos submersible pumps can pump from several hundred feet. The model below is rated with a maximum head of 655 feet and that is very deep. This is the depth that the pump will lift water efficiently. Available and cheapest at Amazon.

Grundfos Deep Well Submersible Pumps

Grundfos SQFlex 3 SQF-3 Solar Submersible Pump

Rural America Has Its Survival Edge

Comparing a huge metropolis and rural areas when it comes to surviving natural disasters? I suppose it all depends on the disaster itself. Which is best suited to prepare for the several natural disasters lined up against mankind? My take: rural areas will fare better. How? One reason is land. With some acreage we can grow our food. With some acreage we can dig our wells. With yet a few more acreage we can set up solar panels and battery banks. We can also build our survival shelter aside from our homes.

Rural areas may also not make it to the list of nuclear targets by our nuclear enemies. Big cities especially near military installations? I would not want to live near one if there was to be a nuclear holocaust. Anyway, we are getting too far off our topic of solar submersible pumps and has shifted to survival. In the Navy, during drills on ships, we are told to brace for shock as an ‘imagined’ nuclear explosion from several miles away is announced on the intercom. We sailors know better.  We tell each other to never mind about ‘bracing for shock’ and instead we remind each other to bend over and kiss our behind goodbye. But as far as survival, it is best to prepare for the unknown.  We just never know.

Joe Joson

13 Comments

Strahinja · January 14, 2019 at 3:30 pm

My investor recommended buying one of these for the project I am running at the moment. I read your article and I can see that these pumps are really good solution for the kind of issue I am having.

Can you please let me know, how durable are these and is there any real guarantee?

Thank you so much. Loved reading your article.

Strahinja.

Joe Joson · January 15, 2019 at 3:03 am

Hello Strahinja!

Happy to hear that we have found a solution to your challenge in a project! Please check out the Grundfos products in my article above. They are a bit expensive but they are very much widespread in use and the more people using a certain product, the more we know that they are reliable.

If you notice, these submersible pumps have casings that are solidly built, made of stainless steel. Now the pump and motor assembly inside is the one that will face the real hard work. Submersible pumps have been around for years in many parts of the world.

So keep us informed, if you will, of your progress with your project. Once you install and observe a few installations, you will become the local expert. Create a team and the rest is history my friend!

Thanks for dropping by. Please do keep us posted. I am very interested to hear about your projects.

Joe Joson/JosonInc, Wealthy Affiliate

My additional links and email address:

blackhawk74@yahoo.com

https://www.facebook.com/joe.j…   (my personal facebook account)

https://www.facebook.com/group…  (my facebook group with 138k members in solar energy)

Claudia · January 14, 2019 at 3:31 pm

I found this article very helpful and interesting at the same time. What would the cost be here in the USA to have one of these world helping solar pumps? Can they go into any well? The reason I ask it’s because there are a lot of houses that still have wells for there house and that can be something very helpful for them as well.

Joe Joson · January 15, 2019 at 1:21 am

Hi Claudia!

The cost per deep well installation depends for the most part upon the cost of your local well-digging/drilling group. The cost of the equipment including those of the pump and motor which includes the long electrical cable, the motor controller and the solar panels if you choose to use one, will be for the most part be constant…as dictated by your equipment source.

I would suggest to have a consultation with the drilling team, wait to see how deep the water supply (water table) is and then obtain the pump and motor equipment. Meanwhile continue to research your equipment.

A sample of a good deep-well pump could be seen here at Amazon.

Cheri · January 14, 2019 at 3:43 pm

This is an interesting article, and a timely one for my situation, Joe. My husband and I have been establishing a homestead in the mountains of north eastern TN, and, although we have city-provided water and electric, we are very much on the outskirts and edges of that service. Which means if there’s a natural or man-made disaster, we’ll be the first to go without and will be the last to receive assistance. Increasing our self-sufficiency is, we feel, a must. The solar submersible pumps you discuss could really be a help to us. The well itself, however, will be a challenge as our terrain is so rocky, and we sit atop a mountain of flagstone. We envy you that easily-dug, inexpensive well you put in in the Philippines!  We love the idea of solar power for our pumping needs, though, and appreciate you sharing your insights in this article.

Joe Joson · January 15, 2019 at 2:01 am

Hi Cheri!

Indeed the bigger challenge in deep wells is the drilling part. It is also the most costly. In my location in the High Desert of Southern California the cost is almost prohibitively high.  BUT…surviving a man-made or natural disaster would be more costly if we ignore our basic needs in survival. In the long run a deep well will pay for itself especially if we engage in producing agricultural products and fish.

Yes, it is an absolute blessing to dig about 30 feet and find a very good steady supply of water here in my location in the Philippines. Some only dig 15 feet and find tons of water!

Thank you so much for your comment Cheri! The best to you and your family with your homestead! That must be a truly exciting endeavor and adventure!

Joe Joson/JosonInc, Wealthy Affiliate

mzakapon · January 14, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Hi Joe Joson,

You have posted an excellent review of Solar Submersible Pumps. Many people are still suffering in rural areas where electricity is still not available. I believe this solar submersible pumps will give the availability to deliver the water to the surface efficiently trough this pump. But I have a little bit concern about maximum depth which is only 230 feet. If water layer is more than 230 feet, is there any alternative or more powerful pumps to do that. Thanks for sharing this informative review.

Joe Joson · January 15, 2019 at 2:40 am

Hello Friend!

Thank you for stopping by and dropping off your contributory comment! I say contributory because as we all interact discussing this very critical subject, we in effect spread the word and knowledge. The more people acquire the knowledge and implement the system in a community, the better that community will be prepared to withstand any kind of disaster!

Please go back to my article @ https://toystoolsandtech.com/2… and find the link/picture of the Grundfos submersible pump. Please note that the maximum depth or head of the pump is around 655 feet. So no worries.

Thanks again for stopping by!

Joe Joson/ JosonInc, Wealthy Affiliate

Additional email: blackhawk74@yahoo.com

Ainars Ozols · January 14, 2019 at 4:14 pm

Thank you for sharing. I will be looking for a solar batteries myself soon and your offered options seems great to my needs. I am convinced that you are going towards right direction and i will come back to you soon.  Renewable energy is the future my friend and sooner people will understand that the better.

Joe Joson · January 15, 2019 at 2:49 am

Hello Ainars!

For sure we are in a win-win situation once we start leaning towards renewable energy! We can’t beat FREE energy from the sun! I look at the financial investment as an added guarantee for a better chance at recovery and survival after disasters, be it natural or man-made.

Thank you for stopping by Ainars!

Joe Joson/ JosonInc, Wealthy Affiliate

My additional links and email address:

blackhawk74@yahoo.com

https://www.facebook.com/joe.j…   (my personal facebook account)

Henry · January 14, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Hi! Thank you very much for this great recommendation! Solar submersible pumps have many advantages, but for me, it’s they can easily be installed once we have found water and made our well.

230 feet is a great reach. And it’s inside the range of what I’m looking for.

I also appreciate the interesting read concerning the survival topic. Natural and man-made disasters are an interesting discussions. But whatever direction we point our finger to set responsibilities, our responsibility is to be prepared. And solar submersible pumps are part of that preparation.

Joe Joson · January 15, 2019 at 2:53 am

Hi Henry!

I could not agree more on your take for preparing for any types of disasters that affect our lives and communities! Please take note that the Grundos brand of submersible pump can go down much deeper than 230 feet. Happy to hear that you do not have to dig any deeper as the cost of drilling is the bigger portion of the whole system.

Thanks for stopping by my friend! The best to you in everything you do!

Joe Joson/JosonInc, Wealthy Affiliate

My additional links and email address:

blackhawk74@yahoo.com

https://www.facebook.com/joe.j…   (my personal facebook account)

Kaju · February 22, 2020 at 1:30 pm

Hi Joe, please reach out to my here at othusanyc@gmail.com it’s important. Thanks Kaju